Whenever I write my fictional pieces, I think most of them reflect a lot on the same theme. Many things in my surroundings interest me, and they usually end up in my stories. Things that really interest me in my surroundings are things that are really colorful and lively. For example, when I’m walking down the street, and I see someone performing or something bright, I always take time to look at it. It something that entertains me for some reason, and I think that the things I look at outside reflect myself. I am a very colorful person and my personality is colorful as well. Something that also interests me in my surroundings are all the different kinds of people. I love to look at different people with their different faces, styles and shapes. It’s amazing to see how different people can be. When I see all these different people, I imagine so many different things about them based on their appearance. I make up my story for them, and this is very normal for me. This is very similar to what Robinson does in her lifetime. In the beginning of her essay, she describes a time that she was driving in a car, and she noticed two people. In a matter of a few minutes, she made up so many different stories about them.
“As we drove along, the man turned again and again, talking to the woman. He has thinning hair and a kindly face. Everything about him, his gestures, the way he spoke, seemed friendly and affectionate: he leaned toward her, he smiled. But she sat without movement or response, staring straight ahead. She never once looked in his direction, and I wondered why” (Robinson 191).
This part speaks about when Robinson was driving on the road, and she was going somewhere. She came a cross this man and a girl, and she was observing them. She made up so many different scenarios about who they could be, what they could be talking about, or what they could be doing. She always wondered and kept wondering what was going on with them. This relates exactly to me, and the way I act when I see people. I wonder so many different things about the people, and make up my own stories. Robinson also mentions that when she does this, it shows that she is a writer, because writers imagine like this. That statement made me realize that I am a writer, and that’s the reason why I might imagine so much when I see certain people. It’s a great thing to do, because it’s so interesting to do different things and make different stories with one person. It helps to expand one’s imagination.
Whenever I observe something, I usually end up observing guys. I like to look at guys, because there are so many different stories that can come up from guy. For me, it’s boring to just observe a girl because I would just think about the same things I go through as a girl. When I write, I want to go to a whole different universe, and be a completely a different person, and I would be able to accomplish that by observing a guy. With guys, their stories can go so many different places. If I were to observe a girl, I think it would only reflect my life. When I write about a guy, my stories are so much more interesting and deep for some reason, but I don’t exactly understand why. The reason might be that I’m out of my comfort zone, and being out of that zone can take your writing to so many different places. It’s really amazing how good my stories can be without the protagonist as a girl.
If anyone reads my writings, they will notice that a lot of them have to deal with deep conflict and also with romance. I write about a lot of my struggles I’ve gone through in my life, but I really change everything. It’s really interesting and fun to do. In most of my fiction stories I have written this year, they have been based on deep conflict and romance. For me, it’s very good for me to write about the things I have gone through in my life. Since I’m always thinking about them, I decide to just write about it. The easiest way to unleash your feelings without a lot of conflict is just writing them out. Then, suddenly that “conflict” you may have can turn into something good because you’re writing and changing characters and everything in the story and suddenly it turns interesting. This relates to what Robinson was saying in her essay. She walks about how she writes about the things that trouble her, and that’s where her best writing comes from.
“I write about the things that trouble me. I write about the things that disturb me, the things that won’t let me alone, the things that are eating slowly into my brain at three in the morning, the things that unbalance my world. Sometimes these are things I’ve said or done; sometimes they’re things i've heard about or seen. Sometimes they’re only sentences, sometimes scenes, sometimes complete narratives. I carry these things around inside my head until I’m compelled to write them down to get ride of them. I sit down and begin.” (Robinson 193)
This quote talks about what Robinson writes about. She talks about how she writes about the conflicts in her life, and things that “trouble her”. This directly relates to e, and what I write about. She writes about things that directly affect her, and it helps her clear her mind .I feel as if that’s the best way to write because later on it helps you to have a clearer mind. Conflicts in your life can help you later on in life because they bring many lessons that will help later on in other conflicts in life. I really like what Robinson wrote in her essay because it relates to me. It describes exactly how I’m like, and it describes what kind of writer I am. We are very similar as writers.
Work Cited
Robinson, Roxana “If you Invent the Story, You’re the
First to See How It Ends.” Writers on Writing. 191-193. Print.
Nicely done, Laura.
ReplyDeleteI found it really interesting that you observe guys in order to separate from your own feelings.
Great analysis, too.
10/10