“We’re going on a date!” Shelly screams, as she speaks to her best friend on the phone. It was a nice hot summer day down in Miami, and she was laying outside in her back yard, cooling down in front of the pool. Her heart was racing with excitement as she spoke to her best friend on the phone about how she was finally going on a date with a boy she crushed on for weeks, David. Every time someone mentioned his name, her mind would take her to another universe. She thought about his hazelnut eyes, his beautiful ebony skin, and his deep but soothing voice. The thought of him made her insides tingle. “OMG when Shelly? I’m so happy for you!” Screamed her best friend Alysha on the phone. “Tonight. We’re going to La Francais restaurant, in downtown Miami. He’s taking me out for dinner, and then we’re going on a romantic walk on the beach. What should I wear!” exclaimed Shelly with excitement. “Go with something cute and casual, and make sure it’s comfy. Maybe a cute fitted dress? Well I have to go Shelly, and have fun, tell me all about it when you get home!” Alysha said with excitement to her best friend, and then quickly hung up the phone.
Shelly sat up by the pool. She dived in for a swim. It seemed like she couldn’t get David out of her head. Every time she turned or thought about something, it was him. Even when her parents were speaking about the Star of David, she thought is his flawless face. When she heard the song Out of My Head by Lupe Fiasco, he’s what she thought about. As the cool pool water splashed all over her face, she thought about her date. What would happen? Will he kiss her? She thought about how wonderful it would be to feel his soft lips against hers. All of a sudden she caught herself just floating in the middle in the pool. “I think I ‘m crazy for this guy” she muttered to herself. Shelly didn’t only think, she knew that for sure.
When Shelly jumped out the pool, she ran to her soft towel, and attempted to dry her frizzy curls. Sometimes, she wished her hair wasn’t so crazy. But she got it from primarily her father’s side. Her mother had beautiful, silky jet-black hair, and had wonderful eyes. Everyone always told her how beautiful her mother was. Her mother’s skin was ivory. Every time she walked down the street, guys stared. Shelly’s father, was a big muscular man. His skin was of dark chocolate, and he was intimidating. He was like a truffle. Hard on the outside, but smooth, silky and refreshing on the inside. She hoped to find love like her parents did someday, even through all of the problems they went through to be together. All of a sudden, she found herself thinking about herself and David living together being married. The thought of his long silky fingers made her smile. She has waited a while for some time alone with him, and her dream was finally coming true.
Shelly jumped out of the shower with excitement. She let the steam refresh her for a few minutes, and once again she thought about her man. She rushed to her room, and slowly put lotion on her long, caramel legs. She wanted to make sure everything would look perfect for David. All of a sudden, there was a light knock on her door. “Who is it?” Shelly asked in a joyful tone. “It’s mom.” She knew that her mother was entering to talk to her about boys, and how she should be careful. Her mother always had a habit of telling her boys are deceiving and she didn’t want her to get hurt. But this time, Shelly didn’t want to listen. She knew David wouldn’t do anything. “Honey, I see how excited you are for your date.” Her mother said while Shelly stared into her mother’s green and brown eyes. “But please, be careful. Boys these days might deceive you. I’m scared and I don’t want you to be hurt. You’re young, and boys know how to play with a girl’s heart. I want you to be very cautious, and please don’t let him break you…” “MOM!” Shelly screamed. “I know, you give me this talk every time. But I think this boy is different. By the way mom, I need to get ready to go, I have 10 minutes. I’ll see you when I get home.” “Okay love. I’ll see you later.” Shelly quickly put on her clothes, made sure everything was perfect and quickly head out the door, to the taxi waiting out front. She was finally making her absolute dream an amazing reality.
Shelly quickly hurried out of the car. She waited in front of the restaurant, getting there right on time. Then she received a text, and it was from David. Her heart suddenly skipped two beats. It read, “Hey love. See you in a few. I’m on my way.” She was overjoyed, that she started to jump. Her pearly white teeth stood out, and with this night, it seemed like they will never be put away. Suddenly, 30 minutes passed. Shelly texted David, asking where he was. No reply. Then an hour passed, and it was getting chilly outside. She called. Straight to voicemail. Her heart started pounding, like someone was beating it with a bat. Slowly, it started to hurt. Then another hour went by, and tears rolled down her face. People walked by her, and asked if she was okay. “I’m fine” she exclaimed. She couldn’t believe what was happening. Her mind started racing like it was in a marathon. Did he blow her off? Did something happen to him? Did he hate her? Was He a player? Then she started bawling out of control. It was like someone had taken a bow and arrow and shot her through the heart. It hurt like a shot wound. Then she just started running, she didn’t know where to go. She was so ashamed of herself. Why didn’t she listen to her mother? She asked herself. Suddenly, she found her self-looking to the ground. Every teardrop seemed like a waterfall. Her mind began to hurt. Her makeup and everything started running down her face. Snot began to get all over her clothes. She didn’t know what she would tell her friends or mother, that the guy she loved so much blew her off. In a distance, she saw a tall man. He looked familiar. Then she realized it was him. Her teeth began to shine, like there were diamonds in there. She slowly got up, and walked towards him. Then she realized he was with someone else. Another girl. Her heart began to rise but suddenly dropped. Shelly couldn’t believe what he had done to her. She turned around, into the midnight black night and walked home, to the place she belonged. Her feet dragging, and smile sagging, her life had turned upside down. Life could never be the same for her. Her wonderful night had disappeared in the blink of an eye. Now all she could do when she got home was slump into bed, and think about the darkness and embarrassment she will endure, forever.
I love how you lead the reader through happiness all the way to disappointment. You write out the emotional details really well in order to show Shelly's break-down.
ReplyDelete9.5