Monday, April 2, 2012

Reflection #5

Laura Kabadi

Title: The Gingerbread Girl
Author: Stephen King

The protagonist of this story is Emily. She wants her child back because the child suffered a crib death, and she feels lost without the child. She also wishes to separate from her husband. She feels like the only way to get away from this problems is running, and she feels like running will help to soothe her pain. Some traits to notice about Emily is that she is not a gullible person, and she is a very strong person. After all, it is extremely hard dealing with a death of a child and separating from her husband. She doesn’t take crap from anybody. I think that the antagonist of this story is Pickering. Pickering is a man that wants Emily dead, and in the story it’s not very clear, but I don’t think Emily even knows the guy. The antagonist is trying to kill Emily. People have warned her before though, that he’s not a very nice man because he has tried to rape many women, and has done many bad things in the past. The antagonist’s reputation is already tarnished. The antagonist I guess in general doesn’t want women to be successful, and he’s very selfish. All he wants to do is rape them then kill them, for absolutely no reason. It’s not clearly mentioned in the story.
The theme of this story is violence. Basically, Pickering is an extremely violent person, and all he’s trying to do in this story is to go after people and kill them. But another apparent theme is strength, and power, because Emily is a very strong person throughout the story with the help of her dad, no matter what she goes through. Techniques used in this story to develop the theme is description. Stephen King clearly describes what Pickering is attempting to do when he’s about to kill somebody, as well as when Emily is about to run, it’s clearly described. Stephen King tends to use a lot of description in his stories, and that’s what usually develops the theme in his stories. The authors tone throughout is as always, very blunt, boring and descriptive. The crisis action of this story is when Emily breaks free from Pickering, and then she watches him drown to death since he couldn’t swim while he tried to chase her into the ocean. She was sucessfull at getting what she wanted because Pickering was killed, and he drowned to to his own death. I enjoyed this story, and I thought it was the best short story I read by Stephen King. It was very interesting, and I liked the story. The whole plot was very good, and it really drew me in. Unlike the other stories, this one was really good and had a great story line. I loved it. The description wasn’t too bad either.

No comments:

Post a Comment