Title: Home Delivery
Author: Stephen King
Title: Home Delivery
Author: Stephen King
The protagonist of Home Delivery is Maddie. Her want and desire is to basically have her husband back, because he died in a fishing accident. She is pregnant, and at the same time is a widow. But later on her want and desires change, because she wants her husband’s dead corpse dead once again, because it’s haunting her. Some important traits to note about Maddie is that she is extremely timid, and at the same time indecisive. She is also very strong, for being able to survive during a zombie apocalypse while becoming pregnant as well as being a widow. In the beginning, she’s not a very determined person, but later on in the story, she becomes a much more determined lady.
In this story, I don’t really believe there is an antagonist. If there has to be an antagonist, it has to be her dead husband, but I’m not sure if it counts because he rose from the dead. The conflict for the protagonist is how she will live without her husband, as well as how she’s going to have her husband that has risen from the dead killed again because he is creeping her out. There is a zombie apocalypse going on around her neighborhood, and it’s traumatizing the town. I think the only force that is stopping her is fear. I honestly don't blame her for being fearful, because if there was a zombie apocalypse where I was living, I would be scared as well.
The theme of the story is basically horror. This story I think was made to creep people out. I mean, people are just popping out from the ground, all originating from a weird Island, so I believe that everyone would be extremely scared throughout this whole story. But at the same time, there is a lot of courage involved. All the people in the town that actually helped to fight the zombies are very strong, because it’s not very easy to just get up and decide to fight zombies that are randomly coming to life and trying to kill you. The techniques used in this story to do this were the dragging on of description. Providing a lot of description helped to make readers wonder, and suspenseful, and as Stephen king always does, just surprise you out of nowhere.
I think the author’s tone throughout the whole story is very blunt and extremely boring and descriptive. But then, out of nowhere, Stephen King just drop a bomb on you, sort of like a surprise in the story that you never saw coming. He drags on and on with a lot of description then, just a surprise. As I said earlier in my earlier reflections, his techniques with his tone is just surprising you. I have no idea why he enjoys doing this, but sometimes I feel like it’s a good thing to do. But at the same time it’s bad because a reader might just get bored very quickly.
I think that the Crisis action in this story is when Maddie kills her zombie husband. It’s a true achievement and turning point for her in the story because she never thought she could do it, but she overcame that fear. She achieves what she wants because throughout the story since her husband has creeped on her, she has wanted him dead, because it’s scaring the living daylights out of her every single day. She realizes how much of a strong person she actually is, and for the rest of the story she is recognized as a strong woman.
I didn’t really like this story because I’m not into the whole horror theme with zombies and stuff. When I hear of those kind of things, I get very creeped out because I am an easily scare person. I feel like this story was boring because it just dragged on about zombies trying to take over the town. It was just like any zombie story that anyone can read. I think Stephen King definitely could’ve done better.
No comments:
Post a Comment